Independent School Coverage
United Educators’ (UE’s) independent school coverage provides critical coverage from issues including athletic injuries, lab safety, sexual misconduct, and transportation.
UE’s independent school coverage provides critical coverage from issues including athletic injuries, lab safety, sexual misconduct, and transportation. Whether your school is a large or small educational community, day, or boarding school, the liability risks are real. You deserve the best protection available.
UE offers up to $30 million in limits with its educators legal liability (ELL) policy and up to $30 million with its general liability primary and excess coverage (CGL and GLX, collectively, GL), both subject to underwriting review. The combination of ELL and GL gives independent schools the resources needed to protect finances, endowments, and reputations.
What Is Covered
GL policies may include coverage for:
- Additional insureds
- Alcohol-related claims
- Allied health professionals and counselors in campus infirmary
- Boarding schools
- Security guards
- Sexual misconduct (for schools who qualify)
ELL policies may include coverage for:
- Educational malpractice/failure to educate
- Employee benefits/ERISA
- Employment practices
- Prior acts
- Punitive damages
Our GL and ELL policies can include trustees, officers, employees, teachers and faculty, volunteers, committee members, and students who are in supervised internship programs or are performing services for and on behalf of the educational organization.
Fiduciary Liability Coverage
This coverage helps schools and their benefit plan fiduciaries reduce risks not typically covered under directors & officers (D&O), employment practices liability (EPL), and ELL policies. It protects past, present, and future directors, trustees, officers, employees, and any other fiduciary of a covered plan. Institutions that have or are considering UE’s GL or ELL coverage also should consider fiduciary liability coverage.
Fiduciary liability coverage typically features:
- Breach of fiduciary duty for plans including trustee benefits; welfare benefits; pensions; 401(k), 403(b) and other retirement plans; excess and fringe benefits; Section 457 “top hat” (executive compensation); and plans administered outside the United States
- Errors and omissions (E&O) in benefit plan administration such as counseling employees and beneficiaries; interpreting and handling records; and enrollment errors or cancellation of employees
- E&O coverage for certain government-mandated insurance programs such as workers compensation, unemployment, and social security
- “Governmental plans” as defined by ERISA; and any other plan covered for breaches of fiduciary duty
- Compensatory damages including those related to COBRA, settlements, and defense costs
- Civil penalties related to prohibited transactions, such as paying certain expenses out of plan assets; and minor delinquent contributions as defined in section 502(i) and 502(l)
Limits are available up to $10 million. Self-insured retention is also available. Please contact your UE territory manager to learn more.
Trustees and Officers Liability Coverage
Trends in the worlds of business and education mean that institutions are operating in a new legal climate. Greater scrutiny of board affairs has resulted in increased litigation and legal exposure for board members as individuals. Our ELL policy includes trustees and officers liability coverage, also known as directors and officers coverage (D&O), and was created with these risks in mind. Trustees and officers coverage also can be written as a standalone policy.