Checklist: Documenting Workplace Harassment — Guidance for Supervisors
Why Read This
Supervisors must document any harassing behavior they witness or that is reported to them. They must write down the details as soon as possible, while the facts are fresh in their minds.
This checklist can help ensure you have covered the key details. For example, in your documentation, did you:
- Write “confidential” at the top?
- Date the initial documentation, as well as dates for any follow-up documentation?
- List the dates of all incidents of alleged harassment and the dates on which you talked to individuals involved, such as the accuser, the accused, and any witnesses?
- State the location(s) of the alleged harassment?
- Write in plain English without workplace jargon or legal terms?