United Educators’ President and CEO Janice Abraham to Retire in 2023
Bethesda, Md., Aug. 24, 2022 — United Educators Insurance (UE), a reciprocal risk retention group serving K-12 schools, colleges, and universities, announced that UE’s President and CEO Janice Abraham will retire in the summer of 2023.
UE Board of Subscribers Chair Morgan R. Olsen announced the news saying: “On behalf of the board, I would like to express our gratitude to Janice for the marvelous job she has done leading UE over the last quarter-century to its current position as the leading risk management and transfer company serving American education. Janice has demonstrated her superb leadership skills by providing a rock-solid foundation for the future of our member-owned captive. Her work has ensured that UE today is in the strongest possible position, developing a cohesive, creative and skilled senior leadership team and keeping a laser focus on our service to education.”
Janice served UE for 10 years as an administrator at Cornell University and at Whitman College, and then for the last 25 years as CEO and president.
She has led UE to noteworthy achievements during her tenure including:
- UE’s growth from about 900 member institutions with about $40 million in gross written premium to about 1,600 members with a projected $376 million in gross written premium in 2022
- UE’s AM Best A (Excellent) Rating for financial strength for 24 consecutive years
- UE’s award-winning risk management programs and services driving the adoption of enterprise risk management across public and private educational institutions, including by delivering nearly two million online course completions
- Development of innovative liability products to meet the needs of education, with sophisticated risk management and transfer built upon 35 years of education-specific data
- Creation of UE’s Cool Head, Warm Heart® approach to claims resolution including ProResponse®, which helps members facing a crisis
A search process for UE’s next president and CEO will begin soon.
# # #
UE is education’s answer to the distinct risks and opportunities institutions face. UE provides liability insurance and risk management services to about 1,600 members representing K-12 schools, colleges, and universities throughout the United States. Founded in 1987 as a risk retention group, UE is owned and governed by the institutions it insures. UE addresses our members’ unique risks through thoughtful underwriting resulting in appropriate coverage.